Published: March 2021
Explore the landscapes and places that inspired great art: find peace in Monet's lily-filled garden oasis, climb Mount Fuji on a printmaker's pilgrimage, sail with Gauguin to the South Pacific to stretch your imagination, or contemplate light and the changing seasons on Chelsea Embankment. Artistic Places is a stunningly illustrated, visionary guide for seekers of beauty, rare tales and cultural riches. Find yourself instantly transported to the places where great artists have sought refuge, found their inspiration and changed the course of art history forever.
Susie Hodge, bestselling author and art historian, presents 25 famous and forgotten artistic destinations around the world, and connects these to the masterpieces that celebrate them. None of these unique locations are merely backdrops to the insightful stories told, but are characters in their own right. So take a leaf out of your favourite artist's sketchbook and delve into this book to discover the places they loved best. Artists and locations include:
* J.A.M Whistler in London, England
* John Constable in Suffolk, England
* Barbara Hepworth in St Ives, England
* Paula Rego in Cascais and Estoril, Portugal
* Pablo Picasso and Guernica, Spain
* Salvador Dali in Catalonia, Spain
* Claude Monet in Giverny, France
* Vincent van Gogh in Arles, France
* Rene Magritte in Brussels, Belgium
* Paul Klee in Bern, Switzerland
* Michelangelo in Florence, Italy
* Canaletto in Venice, Italy
* Johannes Vermeer in Delft, Netherlands
* Anni Albers in Dessau, Germany
* Caspar David Friedrich in the Elbe Sandstone Mountains, Germany
* Gustav Klimt and Lake Attersee, Austria
* Edvard Munch in Oslo, Norway
* Hilma af Klint and Lake Malaren, Sweden
* Henri Matisse in Tangier, Morocco
* Hokusai on Mount Fuji, Japan
* Paul Gauguin in Papeete and Papeari, Tahiti
* Jean-Michel Basquiat in New York, USA
* Grant Wood in Iowa, USA
* Georgia O'Keeffe in New Mexico, USA
* Frida Kahlo in Coyoacan, Mexico
Each book in the Inspired Travellers Guides series offers readers a fascinating, informative and charmingly illustrated guide to must-visit destinations round the globe. Also from this series, explore intriguing: Spiritual Places, Literary Places, Hidden Places and Mystical Places.
This item is on the shelf at the following Harry Hartog shops. Please contact the shop to reserve your copy.
* Availability and price subject to change at any time.