Being a Harry Hartog Bookseller
The Harry Hartog Bookseller is the heart and soul of our bookshops; the beautiful combination of their passions, expertise and individual quirks plays a tremendous role in making our shops unique and keeping our customers coming back for more.
Being a Harry Hartog Bookseller is not a regular retail job. When you join our team you join a brigade of people committed to spreading a love of the written word. You become part of a group of individuals intemperate in their belief that stories – both real and imagined – open the door to worlds you may never have visited, lives you may never have encountered, and experiences you may never have undergone.
With every book you put in a pair of hands, you are contributing to the development of informed, empathetic and perceptive individuals each who, in turn, will go on to shape the world we live in.
To be the best bookseller, you will first focus on providing extraordinary customer experience. You will be friendly, professional and passionate, sharing your love of books with whoever is front of you or on the telephone line. You will also be across the books we stock – both new and old -- and our exciting line of gifts and lifestyle, ready to make suitable recommendations on both fronts.
We also expect you to use your initiative when it comes to creating displays, planning and running special events and generating ideas for how to make your bookshop more unique and enticing.
Help us create the Harry Hartog adventure.
The Store Manager is responsible for every aspect of the day-to-day supervision of the bookstore, including sales, team leadership, inventory control, reporting and resources management.
- Organise all store operations and allocate responsibilities to team
- Ensure standards for store presentation, and customer service are conducted in accordance with operating practices at all times
- Demonstrate the ability to lead and inspire a team of enthusiastic booksellers, including staff selection, training, and communication
- Leading and motivating team to meet sales targets
- Prepare and maintain monthly roster
- Monitor inventory levels – manage stock receival and returns
- Proactively ensure that visual merchandising standards are met
- Plan and oversee in-store promotional events and displays
- Responding to customer queries and complaints
- Deliver accurate reporting of all paperwork and daily financial requirements
- Manage the use of software and all hardware needs
- Develop and implement a positive workplace culture
- Lead by example and ensure you and your team operate in a way that is consistent with core values of the organisation
Essential Selection Criteria
- Exceptional sales and customer service experience
- Knowledge of retail management practices
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
- Strong leadership skills including the ability to motivate a team
- Proven ability to manage time and multiple priorities
- High level of organisational skills, problem solving and attention to detail
- Experience managing large inventory, including receiving, returns and ensuring accurate stock on hand
-Demonstrated ‘can do’ attitude and a focus on achieving results and excellence
-Sound presentation and merchandising skills
-Experience with Retail Software and EFTPOS
-Ability to identify and resolve problems and make appropriate recommendations
The successful applicant will be required to work a 5 day roster, including one day on weekends.
Applicants should forward a detailed cover letter outlining experience and suitability for the role.
Applications must address the selection criteria to be considered for an interview.
Applications should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org